Beginning in 2014, SWACO renewed its focus on building collaboration and partnerships which impact and improve the entire waste stream to ultimately recycle and divert more waste from the Franklin County Sanitary Landfill (FCSL). As a result, SWACO’s Grants Program is a competitive grant program designed to promote recycling and waste reduction projects within Franklin County.
Currently, between 60-70-percent of the waste that is generated by Franklin County residence could be recycled. SWACO's Grants Program is comprised of two individual grants - Event Waste Reduction Grant and Community Waste Reduction Grant - to support the recycling efforts of local non-profit, governmental partners, and local event and festival organizers by providing financial support to help offset the costs of these efforts. In return, SWACO requires grantees to document and measure the project impacts, report results to enhance waste reduction and recycling opportunities in central Ohio and contribute to SWACO’s data collection.
The Event Waste Reduction Grant seeks to assist local event organizers reduce event-generated waste and divert as much as possible from the landfill. In 2017, SWACO plans to award $25,000 to local events and festivals. In addition to reducing the amount of waste generated and diverting valuable resources from the landfill, these grants also assist event organizers -build the infrastructure needed to sustain these efforts and contribute to a safe and healthy community for all Franklin County residents for many years.
2017 Grant Details and Eligibility Include:
• Competitive program that provides reimbursement funding only for activities that increase reuse, recycling and composting, as well as diversion-related outreach and education activities at public events.
• Applications are being accepted between December 15, 2016 and February 17, 2017 at 5 pm.
• Grants will range from $2,000 to $6,000, depending on the size of the event.
• Grants will be awarded in March 2017.
• The event must be within SWACO’s jurisdiction
of Franklin County.
• Event must be open to the public with a projected attendance of 2,000 people or more.
• Funding will be evaluated based on an events proposed establishment or promotion of new waste reduction, reuse, recycling and composting programs, and/or the significant expansion or improvement of existing diversion and outreach activities.
Download the 2017 application
Download the 2017 Webinar PowerPoint Presentation
Read the news release
Community Waste Reduction Grant
The goal of the grant program is to improve Franklin County’s recycling rate of 32-percent by funding innovative projects that address unique community waste reduction needs and have the ability to be modeled throughout central Ohio. Eligible applicants for the grant program include local government entities and non-profit organizations located in Franklin County.
The 2016-2017 grant cycle is closed
. Applications were due by July 15, 2016.
Beginning in 2018, the SWACO Community Waste Reduction grants program will correspond with the calendar year (Jan.-Dec.). Please check back in summer 2017 to download the 2018 Grant Application document.