To schedule a field trip please contact:
Jerry Olmstead, Education Specialist
SWACO Resource Center 4149 London-Groveport Rd Grove City, Ohio 43123
Days and times:
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Groups cannot be scheduled any later than 3:00 p.m.
From downtown Columbus, take Interstate 71 South towards Grove City. Exit the Interstate at exit No. 97 (London- Groveport Road) and turn right. The landfill will be on your left. Please follow the signs to the SWACO Education Center. You will travel west for approximately 1 mile. Turn left into the 4239 London Groveport Rd. entrance, stay straight (do not bear to the right) follow sign to the Resource Center (brown ranch style house) located at 4149 London Groveport Rd.
SWACO Modern Landfill Poster:
COSI Group Takes a Landfill Tour
SWACO offers field trips to the Franklin County Sanitary Landfill (FCSL) for school groups and other interested organizations & clubs. The presentation consists of a preliminary discussion and slide show that outlines the engineering, regulations and monitoring of a modern day sanitary landfill. Visitors will also learn about diversion, beneficial use of closed landfill sites, the difficulty of siting a sanitary landfill and the future outlook for waste disposal in Franklin County. Immediately following the presentation at the Resource Center visitors will enter the landfill site to view the working face. The experience will offer first-hand knowledge that many will not forget! Please note: Visitors will remain inside the vehicle or school bus at all times.
IMPORTANT: Field Trip Policy Information. Please be sure to read below before scheduling a field trip.
- A 10 person minimum is required before arranging your trip.
- SWACO can accommodate a maximum of 50 visitors in one group and one bus per trip.
- Field trips are scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. only.
- Field trips are offered to all students in 1st grade and above.
- Due to the large number of requests received throughout the school year a school may be limited to the number of groups that can be accomodated.
- Field trips will not be scheduled more than 90 days in advance and are provided year round. Tentatively scheduled dates will only be held for 10 days.
- Scheduled groups should plan to meet at the Resource Center, located at 4149 London Groveport Rd., Grove City, OH 43123 for the 45 min. preliminary presentation.
- Children still in a car seat or booster seat are not permitted to participate in the landfill tour unless riding on a school bus.
- Bus reimbursement is available to all Franklin County schools. Effective June 10, 2010: up to $185.00 per field trip can be refunded. Motor Coaches should not be reserved for trips into the landfill site due to under-carriage clearance issues.
- An accompanying adult may be asked to sign a SWACO Consent and Release form for each group.
- A 15 passenger SWACO van is available to accommodate smaller groups with no more than 14 people participating. If there are more than 14 people in a group arrangements must be made with a school bus company to transport your group.
- Field trips are approximately 60 - 90 min. in length. The tour begins with a presentation in our Resource Center and concludes with a tour of the landfill site (weather permitting).
- SWACO reserves the right to cancel trips into the landfill site should inclement weather arise causing slippery road conditions. In addition, details of this of this program are subject to change without notice.
Landfill Tour Worksheets and Teacher Keys