The SWACO Franklin County Sanitary Landfill is located south of downtown Columbus at Exit 97 of Interstate 71 in Jackson Township, Ohio. The Landfill is a Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSW) and accepts most household wastes. The Landfill is owned and operated by the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio and serves the residents and businesses of the Solid Waste District. The SWACO district consists of all of Franklin County and portions of surrounding counties to the extent those municipalities extend into adjacent counties.
These types of solid waste are NOT ACCEPTED at the Sanitary Landfill:
- Infectious/pathological or biological waste. For more information regarding the Authority's "Medical Waste Disposal Policy" call 614-871-5100.
- Chemotherapeutic waste
- Radioactive materials
- Hazardous waste
- Explosive and ordnance materials
- We will not accept appliances with Freon
- Drums, barrels, buckets and other containers unless lids have been removed and interiors are cleaned and free of residue in accordance with The Authority's "Empty Container Policy"
- Liquid waste, including motor oil and water-based paint *
- Yard waste (leaves, grass, shrubs, trees)
- Whole or shredded tires
- Lead acid batteries
- Motor vehicles and major motor vehicle parts such as transmissions, rear ends, frames, springs and fenders, agricultural and farm machinery and equipment, marine vessels and major parts thereof, and any other types of large equipment or machinery
- Gas cylinders, unless empty and delivered separate from other solid waste
- Petroleum contaminated soils, (May be accepted with approval of Executive Director)
* Water-based paints must be dried out before being disposed in the landfill