Even when those old string lights burn out, making your holidays merry and bright can still be easy when you recycle right.
Five central Ohio communities are hosting convenient collection locations where you can drop off unwanted holiday lights. In addition to those neighborhood locations, Goodwill also accepts Christmas and string lights year-round for recycling. Light strands should never be placed in the blue recycle containers. They are considered “tanglers” because they can easily get caught in the recycling facility equipment and cause many issues.
Make it a green holiday. Reduce your holiday waste by recycling your unwanted holiday lights at one of these locations:
City of Dublin
The City of Dublin sends the Christmas lights with our e-Recycling waste as they strip the wires and harvest the metals same as from the other electronics. Residents can drop off electronics and Christmas lights 24/7 at the City of Dublin Service Center lobby and vestibule located at 6555 Shier Rings Drive.
City of Grove City
- City Hall, 4035 Broadway
- Kingston Center, 3226 Kingston Ave.
- Grove City Welcome Center and Museum, 3378 Park St.
- Evans Center, 4330 Dudley Ave.
- Service Department, 3262 Ventura Ave.
- Grove City Library, 3959 Broadway
- Grove City United Methodist Church (Purple Door), 2684 Columbus St.
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, 3730 Broadway
City of Hilliard
Hilliard’s Environmental Sustainability Commission is collecting string lights at the tree-lighting event in Old Hilliard from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Dec. 5 or Hilliard Community Center at 3800 Veterans Memorial Drive.
- Jackson Township Administration Building, 3756 Hoover Road
- Fire Station 202 (vestibule), 3650 Hoover Road
- Fire Station 203 (vestibule), 2650 London-Groveport Road
- Fire Station 204 (vestibule), 4900 Buckeye Pkwy.
City of Upper Arlington
Following the holidays, the City is offering a holiday light recycling program. Bins are available at the Municipal Services Center, 3600 Tremont Road, at the rear of the building, near the food composting containers. This environmentally friendly program offers residents an alternative to sending strands of holiday lights to the landfill. Lights only please, no bags or other material.
This recycling opportunity is available through January 30.
Goodwill accepts string lights at all of their locations. Find a location near you. Check out the entire list of items accepted for donation.