For many, Dad was our first hero, showing us how things work and teaching us right from wrong. To be honest, Dad’s always been pretty super even when he’s telling corny jokes – we just can’t help but laugh.
This Father’s Day, SWACO sends out a heartfelt salute to all the dads and father figures making recycling fun.
Sustainably-minded dads know what it takes to recycle right and you can too. Remember Dad’s Recycling Pro-Tips:
- Break down cardboard boxes
- Recycle glass bottles and jars
- Rinse and remove lids from carton containers
- Remove aerosol tips from metal cans
- Recycle plastic bottles, jugs, tubs and cups
- Keep recyclables loose in the cart; don’t bag them
And if you’re firing up the grill this Father’s Day, (or any time!), remember these sustainability suggestions:
- Avoid food waste by using the Guest-imator, a dinner party calculator that will help you estimate how much food you really need. If you find yourself with excess food, give it a new life as leftovers, compost it or take it to a food waste drop-off site near you! Visit SaveMoreThanFood.org for more food waste tips.
- Do not place aluminum foil in your curbside or drop-off recycling. Try using grilling baskets instead for a more 'foil-proof' solution!
- Grill with the lid down; it’s more energy efficient and helps distribute heat thoroughly. Dad always said, ‘Keep your cool and your burgers hot!’
- No propane tanks! Dad is a safety expert and knows that propane tanks don't belong in the recycling or garbage containers, as they can pose a serious risk to waste and recycling workers. Most retail stores offer a free exchange program and SWACO’s permanent Household Hazardous Waste facility is always available to accept propane tanks for proper disposal.
SWACO wishes all central Ohio dads a great Father's Day! We’re sincerely grateful for your commitment to our communities and for continuing to lead by example.