SWACO is inviting local schools, communities and non-profits to submit applications for the Community Waste Reduction Grant Program, a competitive program offering a total of $150,000 in funding.
Local schools, communities and non-profits can apply now for grants ranging from $500 to $35,000. The deadline to apply is Friday, September 22 at 5 p.m. Approved grants will support the implementation of waste reduction programs.
When will grants be awarded?
Grants will be awarded in December 2017 for projects beginning in 2018.
In order to qualify, organizations need to:
- Establish programs and projects that will address the unique waste reduction and recycling needs of central Ohio communities
- Demonstrate how effectively and efficiently the initiative or program will help SWACO achieve its strategic goals to improve waste diversion and recycling through one of the following:
o Waste reduction and reuse
o Organic waste and/or food waste diversion
o Outreach, education and awareness
- Emphasize partnership building and collaboration
- Address opportunities to leverage the waste stream for community benefit
- Demonstrate a 25% monetary contribution towards the project for allowable costs
- Meet all of the criteria outlined in the program information and application
Why does SWACO offer grants?
SWACO strives to maintain and improve Franklin County’s recycling rate of 45% by funding innovative projects.
Recycling and reducing waste have greater community benefit than landfilling. They support our local economy and contribute to a healthier environment. Recycling can be a less expensive alternative to landfilling, it conserves natural resources and supports job creation as an emerging industry.
Who has received funding in the past?
The program was established in 2016 and awarded six grants totaling almost $90,000. The program was so successful, the budget was expanded by 40% to $150,000 in available funding.
Six grants were awarded to local communities for the 2016 to 2017 award cycle:
For complete details on eligibility and to download the application click here.