Community Waste Reduction Grant
Grant CycleEFFECTIVE June 29, 2017 - September 22, 2017 at 5 p.m. SWACO will accept applications for the 2018 Community Waste Reduction Grant Program.
Please download the 2018 Community Waste Reduction Grant Application Package to learn how to apply!
SWACO hosted a webinar on July 26 from 11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. to provide clarity on the Community Waste Reduction Grant program process. Please click here to view and listen.
The Community Waste Reduction (CWR) Grant (PDF) is available to support the waste reduction and materials diversion efforts of local government entities, including but not limited to schools, universities and parks, and non-profit organizations located in Franklin County by providing financial support to help offset the costs of these efforts. In return, SWACO requires grantees to document and measure the projects impacts, report results to enhance waste reduction and recycling opportunities in central Ohio and contribute to SWACO's data collection.
The goal of the CWR Grant Program is to maintain and improve Franklin County's recycling rate of 45% by funding innovative projects that address unique community waste reduction needs and have the ability to be modeled throughout central Ohio. Eligible applicants for the grant program include local government entities, including but not limited to public schools, universities and colleges, parks and non-profit organizations located in Franklin County.
The CWR Grant Criteria for evaluating applications include project planning, measurable outcomes, financial viability, need and project sustainability. Grants are competitively awarded and support efforts focused on diverting materials from the landfill through:
- Waste Reduction & Reuse
- Organic Waste & Food Waste Diversion
- Outreach, Education & Awareness
Eligible applicants for the grant program include local government entities, including but not limited to schools, universities and colleges, parks and non-profit organizations located in Franklin County. SWACO's jurisdiction of Franklin County (PDF)
Funding The minimum grant amount is $500 and the maximum is $35,000. Applicants must demonstrate a 25% monetary contribution towards the project. Allowable costs may include:
- Recycling & Diversion Equipment
- Educational Supplies & Materials
- Personal Service Contracts
Six grants were awarded during the 2016-2017 grant cycle:
- Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging - $500 to implement staff education, waste reduction, recycling and reuse programs
- City of Bexley - $29,000 to assist in the development of a Strategic Zero Waste Plan
- City of Westerville - $5,128 to improve existing recycling efforts in public areas and city facilities
- Goodwill Columbus - $21,564 to develop a new outlet store to feature reuse and recycling markets
- Mid Ohio Foodbank - $10,860 to divert more edible food to the region's emergency feeding network
- Ohio History Connection - $22,140 to improve current recycling infrastructure and educational activities
If you are interested in learning more about SWACO's Grants Programs please contact SWACO at 614-871-5100 or e-mail a Programs Administrator.