Event Waste Reduction Grant
Franklin County is proud to be home to many public events. It won't be long before the 2018 event season is upon us! Many residents and businesses look forward to the public events and outdoor festivals that take place across Franklin County during the warmer months. As the County continues to grow in population and popularity, tens of thousands of people now attend these local events.
2019 Grant Cycle
The 2019 Event Waste Reduction Grant application period is CLOSED.
- Grant Applications were accepted until Friday, March 8, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Watch the Pre-recorded Webinar to Learn More about the 2019 Application Cycle
SWACO hosted a 2019 Event Waste Reduction Grant pre-application webinar on Feb 8, 2019 to provide clarity and answer questions relating to the application process. Please click here to hear a recording of the presentation!
The purpose of the Event Waste Reduction Grant (EWRG) program is to assist event organizers in establishing sustainable waste reduction and diversion activities. By implementing sustainable, environmentally conscious methods of waste reduction and diversion, central Ohio's events can successfully reduce the amount of solid waste materials generated and divert recyclable and compostable materials from the Franklin County Sanitary Landfill.
The EWRG is a competitive program that provides reimbursement funding for activities that increase reuse, recycling and composting, as well as diversion-related outreach and education activities at public events. Grant dollar amounts are awarded based on event attendance and eligibility criteria found in the Application Information Document.
To be eligible for a grant award, events must:
- Be within SWACO's jurisdiction of Franklin County (PDF)
- Occur during the grant cycle calendar year.
- Be open to the public.
- Have a projected attendance of 2,000 people or more.
- Funding may be requested for activities specific to establishing or promoting new waste reduction, reuse, recycling and composting programs.
- Consideration will also be given to the significant expansion and/or improvement of existing diversion and outreach activities.
2018 Grant Cycle
SWACO accepted 2018 applications from October 6, 2017 - January 31, 2018 at 5 p.m. A webinar was provided on November 9, 2017 from 1:00 p.m. -1:30 p.m. to provide information on the application process and answer questions. Please click here to watch the recorded webinar.
Last year (2016-2017 grant cycle), SWACO awarded $25,000 in grants and supported six (6) events including the Dublin Irish Festival, the Upper Arlington Labor Day Arts Festival, the Columbus Italian Festival, HighBall Halloween in the Short North, Old Hilliard’s Halloween Haunt and a study of the tailgate recycling at OSU football games.
Three grants were awarded for the 2018 grant cycle, including:
- The Greater Columbus Convention Center for the Women's Final Four
- Franklinton Farms for zero waste Community Events
Download the City of Columbus Green Event Guide (PDF)
Download the OEPA's Zero Waste Special Event Planning Guide