- Outreach & Events
- Landfill Tour
SWACO owns and operates the FCSL and provides free tours for school groups, interested organizations and clubs. General public tours are also offered bi-monthly (6 yearly).
Visitors will hear a presentation consisting of a discussion and slide show that outlines the engineering, regulations, and monitoring of a modern-day sanitary landfill. Visitors will also learn how SWACO diverts materials from the landfill and protects public health. Additional discussion topics include how to effectively recycle in Franklin County, natural resource conservation, and how waste reduction and diversion can have a positive impact on the economy.
Immediately following the presentation, participants will visit the landfill working face in a bus or SWACO vehicle to observe the operations first-hand. Attendees will remain in a vehicle at all times.
* Masks are optional for visitors while in our facilities and on the landfill tour.
* STAY HOME IF YOU ARE SICK – No one should be attending the landfill tour if they are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, isolating, or quarantining after being exposed to someone with COVID-19 or have COVID-19. If anyone becomes ill during the tour, they will be sent home.
Take Our Virtual Tour
Interested in hosting a SWACO educator virtually to further discuss the importance of waste reduction, recycling, and safe disposal at the landfill?
Send an email to [email protected] or call 614-782-9429 to schedule a program.
School tours and field trips are provided throughout the year. Tours are offered Monday - Friday between 9 am - 4pm and last approximately 60 to 90 minutes. The tour includes an in-classroom presentation at the Resource Center and ends with an in-vehicle tour of the landfill. SWACO offers schools within Franklin County bus reimbursement of up to $220 for transportation expenses. Children in 1st grade and above are welcome.
Education Resources for Your School Field Trip to SWACO
- SWACO student worksheet, primary grade levels - download here and have students complete this activity before, during or after the field trip.
- SWACO student worksheet, secondary grade levels - download here and have students complete this activity before, during or after the field trip.
- SWACO Sanitary Landfill poster - download here
Tours for the general public are provided several times a year and are free to the public. Tours last approximately 90 minutes and include a presentation at the Resource Center and end with an in-vehicle tour. Children under the age of 6 are not permitted on the tours. Space is limited and is reserved on a first come first serve basis.
Upcoming Public Tour Dates:
- August 5, 2023 at 10 am
- October 7, 2023 at 10 am
- December 2, 2023 at 10 am
To inquire about taking a tour of the Franklin County Sanitary Landfill, please contact SWACO.
Landfill Tour Survey
Did you recently take a Franklin County Sanitary Landfill Tour and you'd like to provide feedback? If so, please take our Survey