SWACO Tour Policy
School tours and field trips to the Franklin County Sanitary Landfill (FCSL) consist of a preliminary discussion and slide show that outlines the engineering, regulations and monitoring of a modern day sanitary landfill. Visitors will also learn about diversion, beneficial use of closed landfill sites, the difficulty of siting a sanitary landfill and the future outlook for waste disposal in Franklin County. Immediately following the presentation at the Resource Center visitors will enter the landfill site to view the working face. The experience will offer first-hand knowledge that many will not forget! Visitors will remain inside the vehicle or school bus at all times.
- Participants must agree to SWACO's Field Trip Consent and Release (PDF).
- A minimum of 10 people is required before arranging a field trip.
- There must be an adult, 18 years or older, to accompany each group.
- SWACO can accommodate a maximum of 50 visitors in one group and one bus per trip.
- Tours are offered to 1st - 12th grades, university students, non-profits and community groups.
- All field trips begin at the SWACO Resource Center.
- Field trips are provided throughout the year and are scheduled Monday-Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for all student groups. Tours for the general public are offered several times a year also.
- Field trips are approximately 60 to 90 minutes in length, beginning with a 30-minute presentation in the SWACO Resource Center and concluding with a tour of the landfill site.
- SWACO reserves the right to cancel tours to the landfill due to inclement weather or other situations that affect the landfill environment.
- Field trips cannot be scheduled more than 90 days in advance, and tentatively scheduled field trips will only be held for 10 business days.
- The number of field trips per school may be limited in order to accommodate the large number of requests received during the school year.
- Upon arrival, a SWACO van will be available to accommodate small groups with 13 people or less. If there are 14 or more people in a group, arrangements must be made with a bus company to transport your group.
- Private vehicles will not be allowed on the landfill site.
- Motor Coaches should not be reserved for field trips due to under-carriage clearance issues.
- Children riding in a car seat or booster seat are not permitted to participate in the landfill tours, unless they are traveling in a school bus.
- Visitors will remain in a vehicle at all times.
- Bus Reimbursement (PDF) (up to $185 per trip) is available to all Franklin County schools.