Diversion - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
SWACO is here to help residents, businesses, schools and educational partners reduce, reuse, recycle, compost, and safely dispose of unwanted items in the most efficient, cost-effective, and sustainable manner.
Franklin County Statistics:
- Over 1 million tons of material is landfilled every year by residents and businesses.
- 76% of landfilled materials could have been reuse, recycled or composted.
- The largest sources of landfilled material is food waste (residential sector) and cardboard (commercial sector).
- In 2022, less than half of the waste generated in Franklin County was landfilled.
- Also in 2022, Franklin County reached a 54% diversion rate, one of the highest rates in the Midwest and higher than the national average (34%).
SWACO Program and Resources:
As part of our holistic mission at SWACO, we offer a number of programs and resources designed to address the waste reduction and diversion needs within our District. We offer programs ranging from education and outreach, curbside recycling and yard waste assistance, household hazardous waste diversion services, as well as programs for businesses, schools, and more.
The links below provide additional information on the programs and resources that we offer.